Within minutes, we were up in the air.
The familiar, low rumble of the engines lifting us away from
the runway dissolved into a steady background hum as the grand palace and the surrounding
estate receded into the distance.
"Smooth takeoff," Armand remarked softly from across
the aisle, adjusting his position in his seat.
"As smooth as it gets," I replied, forcing a faint
nod before sinking back into my seat.
Leaning back into the deep leather cushion of my seat, I closed
my eyes, taking a fleeting moment to settle my racing thoughts. My mind was
crowded with competing demands, but overarching them all was the immediate, unavoidable
conversation I had been dreading for weeks.
I opened my eyes and turned toward the oval window, watching
the landscape below shrink into tiny, geometric shapes. The sprawling manicured
grounds of the palace lost their definition, fading into indistinct patches of green
and stone before disappearing entirely behind a dense carpet of cloud cover.
I exhaled slowly, a long, deliberate breath. There was no point
in delaying what was already long overdue.
After several minutes, a soft electronic chime signaled that
the seatbelt sign had turned off. I glanced up at the illuminated overhead indicator,
waited a beat, and then unbuckled my seatbelt. Standing up, I turned toward the
aisle, stepping quietly down the length of the cabin toward the jump seat that
Khalid was sitting in.
The moment he looked up and caught me approaching, his expression
shifted instantly. He made no attempt to conceal his reluctance, and I
recognized the look immediately. He wanted to sleep. And in all honesty, I couldn't
blame him in the slightest. He was very busy with his wives last night.
Between fucking me, entertaining dignitaries at the banquet late
into the night, fucking his wives, and was in the diplomatic meetings with his
father and I this morning, the man was completely spent. It had been an exhausting
blur of non-stop demands, and I was genuinely surprised he still had the
stamina to sit upright. I was operating under the exact same crushing fatigue,
made exponentially worse by severe jetlag that seemed to settle deep into my
bones.
For a split second, I nearly turned on my heel and walked back
to my seat. Almost. But I knew myself too well—if I backed out now, I would
spend the entire fourteen-hour journey agonizing over the conversation instead
of simply having it.
When I reached his quarters, Khalid looked up at me, rubbing
the bridge of his nose with two fingers.
“Deppgrl,” he said, his voice low and gravelly with sheer exhaustion.
“What’s up?”
I hesitated briefly, shifting my weight.
“Not much,” I said.
He fixed me with a heavy, skeptical stare, raising one dark eyebrow.
“Then why are you standing here looking like you’re about to tell me something
terrible?”
I let out a quiet sigh, scanning the immediate cabin to ensure
complete privacy before looking him squarely in the eye. “I need to talk to you
about something important.”
Khalid shifted his position, sitting up a little straighter in
his seat as he visibly forced himself awake to engage with me. “All right,” he
said, nodding once. “Go ahead.”
I took a deep, steadying breath.
“Due to new aspects in my life as the Prime Minister of Canada,
what my new profession entails while shedding my old professions, and the fact
that my travel is under constant public scrutiny because of my office, I need
to be extremely careful about how I spend time with personally and professionally.”
Khalid’s tired posture hardened, his expression growing noticeably
more serious. “What does that mean?”
“It means that you and I need to end our sexual relationship.”
For several long, heavy seconds, he remained entirely silent,
letting the words sit between us. The hard line of his jaw revealed his immediate
frustration.
“Are you serious?” he asked.
“Yes, I am.”
He ran both hands over his face, releasing a tired, frustrated
breath. “I don't like that.”
“I know you don't.”
“And this is strictly because of your position?”
“Yes. Well, most of it,” I explained, maintaining a calm, empathetic
tone. “My position changes everything. Who I see, where I go, who I'm
photographed with, who I'm associated with—none of it is private anymore. The
other part of it is that you’re a prominent public figure, and the world knows
that you’re married.”
Khalid turned his head, gazing out his window into the blinding
white sea of fog outside.
“I understand,” he said finally, though the underlying edge of
irritation was still palpable in his tone.
“I knew you wouldn't be happy about it,” I admitted softly.
“No,” he grunted. “I’m definitely not happy about it.”
I offered him a small, sympathetic smile. “I’m sorry.”
He turned back to look at me, searching my eyes. “Will we still
be in each other’s lives?”
The directness of the question caught me off guard for a moment.
“Yes,” I answered measuredly, “but to a far lesser degree than
what we have... or had.”
Khalid observed me in silence before asking, “So can we be friends?”
I paused, knowing that total clarity was the only respectful
option, even if it was uncomfortable to articulate. “I know it might eventually
get back to your father, King Hamad, for me saying this, but...”
He waited in silence, listening intently.
“The truth is, Khalid, you and I weren't truly friends. We were
fuck buddies who shared a high level of trust.”
His eyebrows lifted slightly at my unvarnished honesty.
“Furthermore,” I continued, “given your religious beliefs, it’s
forbidden in Islam for us to hold a friendship between opposite genders. I will
always continue to be respectful and friendly with you whenever our paths
cross.”
He nodded slowly, processing the logic. “So you're saying things
will mostly remain the same politically and professionally, just without the
sex?”
“Yes.”
Khalid leaned back into his headrest, staring up at the cabin
ceiling for a quiet, reflective moment. “I suppose I should have expected this
eventually.”
“I didn't want to hurt you,” I said quietly.
“I know.”
A heavy silence stretched between us, weighted by everything
we were leaving behind.
He looked at me for another moment. “I’m going to miss what
we had.”
“I know.”
“And I’m still not happy with this.”
“I know that, too.”
“I just wish things were simpler,” he admitted, his tone softening.
I nodded gently, offering no empty platitudes.
He met my gaze again, the initial irritation on his face yielding
to quiet resignation. “I understand what you're saying.”
“Thank you, Khalid.”
“But I’m still annoyed,” he added, a faint, wry exhale escaping
him.
Despite the seriousness of the encounter, a slight smile broke
across my face. “I figured you would be.”
He gave me a long, tired look. “You're very blunt, you know that?”
“I've been told that once or twice.”
He shook his head, closing his eyes halfway as he settled
back against his pillow. “Go get some sleep,” he muttered.
“I probably will, but you need it far more than I do.”
“I do,” he sighed deeply. “And Deppgrl?”
I paused, turning back over my shoulder. “Yes?”
He lingered for a second before speaking. “Thank you for telling
me directly.”
I gave him a warm nod. “You deserved to hear it straight from
me.”
With that, I turned and walked back down the length of the aisle,
leaving Khalid to the quiet solitude he needed.
When I reached my section of the plane, Armand, Roger, Joel,
and Ronan were standing clustered in the aisle right beside my assigned seat. Their
eyes tracked me as I approached, their posture radiating quiet vigilance and
curiosity about how the conversation had unfolded.
I barely had a chance to sit down before Armand looked down at
me, his eyes sharp and probing.
“Well?” he asked.
Roger stood with his arms crossed over his chest, inspecting
my demeanor. “You've been gone a while.”
Joel leaned in slightly, his tone quiet and measured. “Is everything
all right?”
Ronan cast a quick glance over my shoulder toward Khalid’s area
before focusing back on me. “You two weren't arguing over there, were you?”
I shook my head calmly. “No. Nothing like that at all.”
Armand narrowed his eyes slightly, still suspicious. “Then what
was it about?”
“We just had a pleasant conversation,” I replied smoothly, maintaining
absolute composure. “We wished each other well and agreed that both of us need
to get some rest if we can.”
Roger studied my face for a moment longer, looking for any subtle
sign of stress, before giving a single nod. “That's it?”
“That's it.”
Joel smiled faintly, recognizing the boundary I was establishing.
“Sounds simple enough.”
“It was,” I said with firm finality.
I offered no further details. Some matters belonged exclusively
to the people involved, and my security detail didn't require an itinerary of
my personal closures.
Armand recognized the subtle shift in my tone and nodded in understanding.
“All right,” he said. “Then sit down and get some rest.”
I smiled up at him. “That was the plan.”
Ronan stepped back to give me space to settle in. “You look completely
exhausted.”
“I am exhausted,” I admitted freely.
“Then stop talking and go to sleep,” Ronan instructed with a
dry smirk.
I laughed softly, letting my head rest back. “That's becoming
a popular theme on this flight.”
“Probably because everyone on this aircraft is running on empty,”
Joel noted, checking his watch.
I took one brief glance back toward Khalid. “Some more than
others.”
The four men exchanged brief, amused looks, but respected the
moment and let the conversation drop as a quiet calm settled over the cabin.
I sat down in the seat that I chose and Armand, Roger, Joel,
and Ronan followed suit with their seats around me.
"Wake us if you need anything, ma'am," Roger murmured
quietly as he settled into his chair.
"I will," I said softly.
“Finally,” I heard Armand whisper.
“Let her sleep,” Joel whispered back.
“I am.”
The cabin quickly became quiet again.
I closed my eyes and instantly fell asleep. It was a direct flight
so it would be a 14 or so hour flight. I was so exhausted that I didn't even
dream; my mind and body completely shut down the second my head hit the headrest.
A few hours into the flight, I woke up with a jolt.
"Whoa, you okay?" Joel asked softly from across the
narrow aisle, instantly attuned to my sudden movement.
I opened my eyes, collected my thoughts, and remembered that
we were flying home.
Joel leaned slightly toward the aisle. “Easy. You’re on the
plane.”
“I know.”
“You looked like you forgot where you were.”
“I did for a second.”
“That happens after the kind of sleep you just had.”
Reaching for my phone, I checked the time and groaned quietly.
"We still have about 11 hours left of the flight," I muttered.
"Get some more sleep if you can," Joel suggested gently.
"I'll try," I said.
I knew that I shouldn’t—for the safety of the plane and its equipment—but
I texted Vic anyway.
Can you meet me at the airport in 11 ½ hours?
Yes
After texting him, I pulled up the contact for Charlotte—Ronan’s
sister—so she could arrange transportation to meet her brother upon landing.
Hey Charlotte, can you swing by at the airport and be
ready to pick Ronan up in 11 ½ hours?
I'll be there.
I locked my screen for a second, feeling a sense of relief. I
knew that Armand, Roger, and Joel would be fine with their travels home. They had
managed to sleep a little on the flight out to Bahrain, stayed hydrated and fed,
slept well last night, and would sleep enough on the remainder of this flight
back to Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, to safely drive back to the
military base where they were stationed.
Deciding to check in on official business, I opened a new message
to text Barb to see how everything was faring back at the office and the
building.
Hey Barb, how is everything going at the office and the building?
Everything is going well here. The first day of security
in the hands of both Fred and Bobby went smoothly. Thankfully, everything is
under control and there haven’t been any issues.
Did we get any calls about the trip?
A large number of residents did call in regards of why you
were in the Middle East again. I had the staff tell people that it was a last
minute meeting and it didn’t fit in your schedule nor the king.
Great job handling that. Thanks, Barb.
Rest up, Marie. We have everything covered here.
I locked my phone and leaned back into my seat and was able to
settle in with a book that Amber—the lead flight attendant—leant me when I boarded.
"Is that the Lincoln bio Amber had?" Ronan asked softly,
glancing over from his seat as I unfolded the cover.
"It is," I nodded. "Should help pass a few hours."
"Enjoy," he smiled faintly. "Let me know if it's
worth a read."
The book was about Abraham Lincoln... the US's sixteenth president.
I don't know how Amber knew this about me, but it doesn't matter. It would help
pass the time of part of the flight. Due to me being a voracious reader, I knew
that this book wouldn't last too long in my hands.
The book started out with the birth and first few years of Mr.
Lincoln's life. As most historical biographies of famous people, the book started
slow, but because I have always respected Mr. Lincoln and his presidency, I
persevered with the few slow chapters. By the time he was a teen, the book
started grabbing my attention and I devoured the book in a matter of two and a
half hours. Other people would've either given up so quickly due to how slow
the book started or not even finished it after being halfway through it. Since
I love history and enjoy learning and occasionally re-learning about Mr.
Lincoln, it was an easy read.
Once I turned the final page, I closed the book, unbuckled my
seatbelt, and walked down toward the galley to give Amber her book back and thank
her for the loan.
“Here you go, Amber,” I said, handing the book back to her. “Thank
you so much for lending it to me.”
Amber smiled warmly as she accepted the book back from me.
“You’re very welcome,” she said. “Over all my years as a flight attendant, I’ve
learned that people who work in public service tend to be history buffs, read biographies
on political figures, and tend to have political careers.”
I smiled, thanking her again. “Thanks again, Amber.”
Turning back toward my seat, I couldn't help but reflect on her
words. Little did she know, there’s always politics when it comes to many—if
not all—jobs, regardless of the field.
I sat back down at the seat that I chose. Once I sat down, I
pulled out a few pens and a notebook and started writing.
Armand glanced over at my notebook with a subtle smirk. "Writing
in code again, Prime Minister?"
"Always," I replied quietly, without pausing my pen.
"Better safe than sorry."
"Can't argue with that logic," Armand agreed softly,
settling back.
I wrote for hours about everything and anything, but in code.
I prefer to protect my writing and what is in what I write.
Two hours and a significant hand cramp later, Amber came
around with food for us. She brought around several meals for Armand, Roger,
Joel, Ronan, and I. Since they were leftovers from yesterday, the airline
wouldn't miss the food.
"Amber," I called softly as she passed my seat, "did
Khalid eat?"
"Yes, he did," Amber told me with a reassuring nod.
“King Hamad sent some halal food for Khalid.”
"That's good to hear," I murmured.
I gave her a grateful nod, feeling a quiet sense of relief.
After she left, I closed my eyes. Minutes later, I was fast asleep.
I slept for the rest of the flight.
When we landed, I woke up, grabbed my toiletry bag and headed
to the bathroom so I could brush my teeth. When I finished up, I stuffed my
toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash and hair brush back into my toiletry bag and
headed back to my seat to gather my things. I shoved my toiletry bag into my
carry-on bag, threw my crossbody purse over my shoulders, made sure I had all of
my passports and phones with me—which, thankfully, I did—and disembarked the plane
onto the tarmac.
"Go ahead through Customs ahead of me, guys," I said
to the team as we walked inside the terminal area. "I'll be right behind
you."
"We'll wait for you on the other side," Armand replied.
Armand, Roger, Joel and Ronan went through Customs without me
but were waiting for me. Of course, I went through without an issue.
Once clear of the checkpoint, Armand, Roger, Joel and I said
goodbye to each other there.
"You three did an exceptional job on this trip," I
said warmly to them. "Enjoy a few days off with your families before returning
to the office."
"Are you sure, ma'am?" Roger asked. "We can cover
your transition back."
"I'm sure," I smiled firmly. "Go home and rest."
"Thank you, Prime Minister," Joel said, nodding respectfully.
Just then, Charlotte came walking up to pick up her surprised
and exhausted brother, Ronan.
"Ronan!" Charlotte called out, stepping up with a warm
smile.
Ronan blinked, looking completely thrown off. "Lottie? What
are you doing here?"
"Picking you up, of course," she chuckled, giving him
a quick hug.
I turned to Ronan and smiled. "Take a few days off as well,
Ronan. You've earned it."
"Thank you, Marie," Ronan said with a tired sigh of
relief.
The four men and Charlotte were still waiting with me.
Charlotte looked at me. “Are you sure?”
“I’m sure.”
Ronan nodded. “She’s fine.”
I looked at him. “You’re supposed to be leaving.”
“I’m working on it.”
“Really, it’s ok to leave. I’m safe,” I said. “My ride is a few
minutes away. He tends to be on the late side especially when getting a new vehicle.”
Lottie looked around the tarmac entrance, then turned to me.
She was just about to open her mouth to question me—asking why I was waiting around
instead of leaving with them—when Vic came driving up to where we were on the
tarmac.
Armand turned to me, raised an eyebrow and looked at me as if
to say: “Seriously, ma’am?”
"Looks like your real ride is here," Roger noted with
a dry laugh.
"Have a good few days’ rest, everyone," I said with
a smile as I headed toward the vehicle that replaced the one that had blown up
after our ascent into the air just over thirty hours ago. “I’ll head to the
office sometime midmorning tomorrow.”
I waved to them as I opened the back door to throw my carry-on
back onto the back seat and headed up to the front passenger seat where Vic was
waiting for me with the door open. He smiled and bent down to kiss me. I welcomed
the kiss and broke away a few minutes later.
“Marie!” Khalid called out. “Don’t forget the food!”
I facepalmed myself and headed back to the plane. At first,
the Customs agents didn’t want to allow me back to the plane but with a raised
eyebrow, they allowed me to grab the bags from Khalid.
“Thank you, Khalid,” I said. “I can’t believe that I forgot.
I appreciate it.”
“Any time,” he said. “See you te next time you’re around.”
I nodded and headed back to Vic. I was going to miss what
Khalid and I had but it needed to happen. Word was getting around the palaces
that Khalid was falling for me. Whether this was true or not didn’t matter to
me but neither one of us needed to deal with the rumors.
“Let’s head to the office, “ I said when I got back to Vic.
“My personal car is there and I would like it at my house rather than this
monstrosity of a vehicle.”
“Of course, Deppgrl,” Vic said as he helped me into the monster
sized SUV. “You’ll certainly stick out like a sore thumb in your neighborhood
with this vehicle parked in your miniscule driveway.”
I couldn’t help but laugh as I got into the vehicle. I know that
this is the size of the vehicle that I picked out and had safety features installed
into it. I chuckled as I put on my seatbelt about my driveway. It’s the biggest
one on my cul-de-sac but it would truly look miniscule with this large vehicle.
Though my neighborhood knew that I’m the PM but they also know that I prefer to
drive to work in my personal vehicle and be followed by one vehicle – if
traveling by road from the office, then I’d use this vehicle.
After several quiet minutes, Vic finally glanced over. “You don’t
want to talk?”
“I have plenty to say.”
“But?”
“I’m exhausted.”
He nodded. “Fair enough. We can talk when you’re ready.”
Vic and I didn’t talk much on the drive to my house. Last time
we saw each other a few weeks ago, I told him that I didn’t want to see him
again. It was a bit of an awkward drive to the office but it was ok as it gave
me time to reply to personal and professional emails and texts. The one email
surprised me the most. It was from who is – essentially – my boss; King
Charles III.
I cannot thank you enough for your tireless efforts
during your long tour of the Middle East. The resilience and strategic acumen
you demonstrated in navigating such complex diplomatic landscapes have not gone
unnoticed by the crown. Your ability to secure vital partnerships under immense
pressure exemplifies the absolute highest standard of service to our nation.
King Charles III
I rubbed my temples, took a long, steady breath, and began
typing my response back to the king:
Your Majesty,
I am deeply
humbled and profoundly honored that you would take the time out of your
demanding schedule to reach out to me personally. To know that my efforts in
the Middle East have met with your approval is the highest reward I could ask
for. While the relentless pace of the itinerary—spanning multiple capitals,
sudden operational shifts, and barely enough time to catch my breath back in
Canada before heading back out—has certainly tested my physical and mental endurance,
knowing that the mission succeeded makes every exhausting mile entirely
worthwhile.
Deppgrl Smith
Canadian PM
Little did he know that I was actually in New Zealand,
Russia, Italy and finally back home in Canada while it was my doppelgänger in
the Middle East.
Vic was quiet for a moment. “There’s a lot more to this trip
than anyone outside your staff knows, isn’t there?”
“Yes.”
“Are you going to tell me?”
“Eventually.”
He nodded. “That’s enough for now.”
Neither my staff nor myself would share this with the king.
We all knew that I’d lose my job as the PM and the less that the king and his personal
staff knew, the better and safer it was for me to be the PM.
By the time that I had put my phone back in my pocket, Vic
had pulled into the parking lot of the PMO building.
No comments:
Post a Comment